The Blount family's involvement in the shellfish industry began in the 1880s, with Eddie B. Blount's entry into the oyster business in one of many oyster houses in West Barrington which handled the cleaning and shucking of clams and oysters from Rhode Island's famous Narragansett Bay. In 1938, the Blount's then-thriving oyster business was among the casualties of the massive hurricane that devastated the entire oyster industry in the Narragansett Bay area.
Nelson Blount pioneered the market transition from oysters to clams and purchased the current Blount Seafood waterfront property in 1943. By 1946, he incorporated several businesses into Blount Seafood Corporation and the company has continually processed clams right up to today. The clams produced at our Warren facility go into chowders made by our nation's largest and most well-known soup companies. Recently Blount has further expanded with a state-of-the-art soup facility located in Fall River, Ma. Our soups are served nation wide in many fine restaurants and are sold in numerous retail locations typically under our customers' brand names. We have also now expanded into making a wide variety of gourmet dips and spreads.